September 30th – National Day of Truth and Reconciliation
National Day of Truth and Reconciliation
September 30th, 2021 is National Day of Truth and Reconciliation in Canada. This day honours the lost children and survivors of residential schools, their families and communities. Public commemoration of the tragic and painful history and ongoing impacts of residential schools is a vital component of the reconciliation process.
Orange Shirt Day
Both the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Orange Shirt Day take place on September 30th. Orange Shirt Day honours the children who survived Residential Schools and remembers those who did not. There were 140 federally run Residential Schools which operated between 1831 and 1998. The last school closed only 23 years ago.
Former Residential School students can call 1-866-925-4419 for emotional crisis referral services and information on other health supports from the Government of Canada. Indigenous peoples across Canada can also go to The Hope for Wellness Help Line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for counselling and crisis intervention. Call the toll free helpline at 1-855-242-3310.
With the help of AKSIS (Edmonton’s Aboriginal Business Professional Association), we’ve listed a variety of resources and events that you can educate yourself on and participate in to do your part on the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation.
The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation out of the University of Manitoba has a wonderful array of resources:
Truth and Reconciliation Event Documentary
- Homefire: Ending the Cycle of Family Violence
- Journey Home (the follow up to Home Fire – Healing for Indigenous Children in Foster Care)
- Delivering on Calls to Action
- Honouring the Truth, Reconciling for the Future: Summary of the Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- They Came For the Children
List of events curated by Bent Arrow – Traditional Healing Society
- Orange Shirt Day – University of Alberta – All day
- Orange Shirt Day 2021 – CDI College – All day
- Orange Shirt Day – Rogers Place – All day – Orange Shirt Society
- Light the Bridge & Reflection – Hawrelak Park – 10am to 2pm – City of Edmonton
- All My Relations: Healing in Community – 8118 Gateway Boulevard – 7:30 pm to 9am – Clar-i-tea Inc.
- Orange Shirt Day – Concordia University – All Day – Virtual
- Orange Shirt Day Run/Walk – 10320 Queen Elizabeth Park Rd. – 3pm to 6pm – CFWE & 19.3 FM
- National Day of Truth and Reconciliation – 11010 – 104 Avenue – 9am to 3pm – MacEwan University
- National Day of Truth and Reconciliation – 4302 33 St – 12am to 11:59 pm – Silent Power Kung Fu
- More local events listed on the City of Edmonton website